Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Needs More Beige.

I've suspected this for a long time.
I've thought it through late at night, questioned it, wondered if there was something wrong with me.
I've spent many hours struggling to change my ways by trying different things, different ways of doing things, but I always return to my old habits.

I can't deny it any longer. I must be true to myself.

I'm ready to admit it.

I'M BEIGE.

What the hell does that mean, you ask?
It means I have an obsession with making everything I draw beige. Like, seriously.
I can't help but add beige (I like to call it 'foxed' - the natural ageing process that causes paper to turn a faded coffee colour - but really, it's just beige, isn't it?) to everything. Even if I don't end up actually having a picture with a beige tint, I always at least TRY it.

It comes from my love of old papery things. Books, parchments, paintings. An old book can be about Pythagoras' Theorem for all I care - if it's an old hardback book with foxed pages I want it. Desperately. (And maybe part of the obsession comes from the word 'foxed'... maybe on some subconscious level I like coffee-coloured art because the word for it is based on my favourite animal?? Who knows.)

This isn't really a revelation of any great significance if you're familiar with my work, is it? It's probably been abundantly clear for many months that I have a tendency to nostalgia the hell out of my work. I was aware of it, of course, but I thought it high time I acknowledged it in human words.

Well now. Let's celebrate my officially coming out as a beigeaholic.


HAVE SOME MORE BEIGE THINGS.

An illustration based on Aesop's Fable 'The Lion and the Mouse'.


Silly Greek Chimera character. These things always boggled my mind. A lion with a goat head just... stuck on its back. Plus a snake for a tail. No wonder it rampaged and destroyed things.

A trapeze artist sketch I decided to expand into a little vaguely 1920's poster-like picture.
No reference was used, so her anatomy is maybe a little off. I blame artistic license.

And finally, to finish off the decidedly beige and nostalgic theme of this post, have an internet meme I added a moustache to.
I call it 'Bitch Please Internet Meme with Moustache'.

Well, I think that's probably quite enough beige for today.
Hah! What am I talking about? One can never have enough beige!

1 comment: