Sunday, 24 June 2012

Natural History I

I've been on a brown paper frenzy lately. As stated in earlier posts I collect whatever bit of brown paper I can find to draw on later, and I've been putting some of the nicer pieces to 'good' use.
As you may or may not have guessed by now, I rather like animals. And drawing them is one of my favourite things to do.

Here are some of the more recent results of this hobby:

The Thylacine - one of my favourite animals, and unfortunately driven to extinction by Man just 80 odd years ago. Known also as the Tasmanian Tiger or Tasmanian Wolf because of it's dog-like appearance and the stripes on its back, it is actually related to neither. A marsupial, it's closest relative is the Tasmanian Devil.
(It's difficult to draw thylacines, as the only references anyone has to go by are a few very old, black and white, grainy photographs, or taxidermy specimens - most of which look like roadkill.)

Some smaller sketches of thylacine anatomy. They could open their jaws wider than almost any other known mammal, and could jump on their hind legs, similar to kangaroos. 


The Bongo. A rare tropical antelope native to various countries in Africa.


Cross Fox - an unusual partially melanistic colour variation of the Red Fox, once thought to be a separate species.


Common Genet - cat-like mammal, related to civets and similar species.

And that is all my 'brown paper animals' used up for now! More will follow eventually, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment