Sunday, 29 April 2012

Spirits

Third posting this month, I think, which is unexpected and very quick for me, really. I've been 'processing' a bunch of drawings and paintings that have been hanging around sadly in my sketchbooks, demanding attention, but I'm waiting to gather enough of each type in one place so that I can post them in specific collections.

However, I have just finished something that I got done much quicker than I had anticipated (I'm a slooow worker) - I thought it would be an ongoing thing in between other stuff, but I managed to plough through it in a few days.

It started out with the excitement of finding a lone piece of brown paper in my paper cupboard. I love drawing on brown paper, but I rarely find brown paper sketchbooks to the colour of my liking, so I cobble together collections of single scraps of the stuff, backs of envelopes, single sheets of nice toffee coloured stuff that the local art shop sells in single sheets sometimes, etc.
A fairly spontaneous doodle magically appeared on this single sheet of paper, not in relation to anything at all that I've been doing recently. And here it is:

She's meant to be underwater, but it kind of turned out as if she's... a little bit on fire.
Anyhow, this little doodle gave rise to another idea based on Venice and its annual Carnevale.
I wanted to do more than just a single picture, and I went through about fifty different ideas, layouts, even what the hell was actually going to HAPPEN in the damn thing, and this indecision happened right through drawing it out, colouring and finishing it. I do that a lot.

So, here is the finished product of all that irritating indecision:



And there it is. A page of comic-like panels depicting a single point in time, rather than the usual unfolding of events within a scene. A girl in a Venetian gondola dips her hand into the Grand Canal, unaware of the 'ladies and gentlemen' watching her from beneath the water. The middle panel is in the vague shape of a Venetian bridge, acting as a barrier between the two very different 'worlds'. The writing at the bottom is a terrible mutilation of a quote made by John Ruskin on the nature of Venice "A splendour of miscellaneous spirits." I apologise Mr Ruskin for using your words for my own devious ends...

That's all I want to show off for now, I suppose!

Until the next time,

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment