Thursday, 12 April 2012

Me Gusta

Greetings and salutations, peasants!

Heh...

I don't have a whole load of stuff to show you, really. I mean, I do, but right now I only really want to focus on one thing - something I started ages ago, then abandoned, then took up again and finished.

Once again, surprise, surprise, surprise - so much surprise anyone with a heart condition should probably avert their gaze - it is inspired, at least vaguely, by Greek Myth. By my 'Erebus' comic page (which can be viewed in a couple of posts prior to this one), to be precise.

I started it having no idea how to proceed in colouring it - whether it should be black and white, ink, pencil, paint, digital... I really couldn't make up my mind.
I left the idea alone for several weeks, until I rediscovered an image I had saved on my computer in my 'amaze-balls' folder, from the front cover of a book of short comic stories. I remember being quite amazed by the image, partly because it's a very nice image, but mostly because, if you look at it closely, you can see that all the little details in the image are in fact very scruffily painted in - a single stroke to make a window, scratchy, scribbled brushstrokes to define shadow and other details, but from a distance it looks meticulously painted:

(Image on the cover of the 'Flight' anthology of short comic stories,
 published by Image Comics/Ballentine Books)

I've always been in awe of people who can slap paint (real and digital) around quite haphazardly and come out with a professional, clean-looking image.
When I happen to give it a try - painting in a slightly impressionistic way that suggests quick, rough strokes to give the impression of detail and professionalism - my images usually come out looking like what they are - a mess:


Yeah...

But, finding that "Flight" image again for some reason made me take up my graphics tablet and accompanying pen and slap some digital paint haphazardly around on a digital canvas in the hopes that a half-decent image might form based around the 'Erebus'-inspired idea I had abandoned.

Wanna see the result?


So, what is it?
It's a vaguely Ancient Greek-ish town made from books and candles.
I imagine the inhabitants of this unmitigated fire hazard worship the distant grandfather clock as some sort of deity. It chimes the hours away for them, provided they offer it a sacrificial silverfish each and every morning.

As earlier suggested, I didn't want to go into huge detail - keeping the image busy but not weighed down with things like text on book spines etc. I'm fairly pleased with it.


Welp, that's what I wanted to show you - all the other images I have to show are largely random bits and pieces that I'll bunch together in 'bits and pieces' post at a later date.

Turrah for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment