Tuesday, 10 January 2012

January Blues

Welp, January is upon us, all the decorations have been taken down and the tree is sitting sadly on the compost heap - it went out with a vengeance, dropping every single one of its needles on the carpet as dad dragged it outside, making it look as though we were attempting, and succeeding, to grow an indoor lawn. 


All the festive fun and excitement is over...
BUT!! I'm quite happy! I have my vision back properly and am able to draw and read again! HUZZAH.


So, I've been doing stuff.


A bit of digital painting practice on a guy I dreamt about ages ago. A guy with stilts for legs in weird venetian carnival-esque attire who chased me round my own house. Normal-sized people have trouble standing upright without risking concussion in my house, so how this guy managed to fit I'll never know. 


I also thought I'd present an image done with a quill pen and a pot of ink a couple of months ago. I touched it up recently and rescanned it so I suppose I should show it. It comes with its own little snippet of story - not related to anything, just something I cam up with while drawing it:


"People flocked in the streets to see this particular carriage go by. The one with the trees engraved on the sides and wheel spokes carved in the style of gnarled branches, pulled by a stag - and not those flashy golden stags only the elite of the elite used to drag them around the city - a common red stag with a magnificent set of antlers and a known temper.
Children would jump out as it passed to try and grab the large silver ring dangling from the mouth of the horned demon on each door. One knock brought good luck, they said. Two brought wealth. Three brought fame. Four brought gifts of magic. And five brought the occupant of the carriage out to murder everyone in the vicinity. No child had yet dared to test the last notion."



Ahem. Yeah...




And finally, I'm returning to the rather Greek Myth-y theme of the last post and showing off something I finished just today. A pencil illustration, again, not of an actual Greek myth, but rather inspired by the concept of the Greek Sphinx, the guardian of Thebes, and a Riddle Master. Anyone who wished to enter the city had to first answer a riddle. Failure to answer it correctly meant becoming the Sphinx's lunch.


The whole illustration is again too tall to view properly on most screens, so I'm breaking it up.


The top:

The Middle:

The Bottom:


And here it is in full, just so you get the idea:

So, yes. A mish-mash of random crap to start the new year off!


I hope everyone is sticking to their New Year's resolutions. I haven't made any.
I suppose the only resolution I can think of is to make sure I stay SUPER HAPPY at all times!!! :D


Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment